The Fair Work Commission (FWC) has approved a 2.5% increase in all award rates in its minimum wage ruling handed down this afternoon and has again delayed rises for sectors most affected by the coronavirus pandemic.
The new weekly minimum wage will be $772.60 – or $20.33 an hour – up $18.80, from July 1, 2021.
However, general retail award workers will have to wait till September 1 and those covered by more than 20 awards in aviation, tourism and fitness and some areas of retail trade will have their increases delayed until November 1, 2021.
Unlike last year’s decision, the panel – President Iain Ross, Vice President Joe Catanzariti, Deputy President Ingrid Asbury, Commissioner Peter Hampton and lay members Martin Ferguson, Professor Mark Wooden and Adele Labine-Romain – made a unanimous decision.
The ruling comes as Treasury last month projected that the cost of living would rise by 1.75% next financial year, against a WPI of just 1.5%.
The delayed Award increases will take effect as per below:
On 1 September 2021 the General Retail Industry Award 2020 will come into effect.
on 1 November 2021 the below Awards will come into effect:
- Air Pilots Award 2020
- Aircraft Cabin Crew Award 2020
- Airline Operations – Ground Staff Award 2020
- Airport Employees Award 2020
- Airservices Australia Enterprise Award 2016
- Alpine Resorts Award 2020
- Amusement, Events and Recreation Award 2020
- Dry Cleaning and Laundry Industry Award 2020
- Fitness Industry Award 2020
- Hair and Beauty Industry Award 2010
- Hospitality Industry (General) Award 2020
- Live Performance Award 2020
- Mannequins and Models Award 2020
- Marine Tourism and Charter Vessels Award 2020
- Nursery Award 2020
- Racing Clubs Events Award 2020
- Racing Industry Ground Maintenance Award 2020
- Registered and Licensed Clubs Award 2020
- Restaurant Industry Award 2020
- Sporting Organisations Award 2020
- Travelling Shows Award 2020
- Wine Industry Award 2020.
The variation determinations in respect of the General Retail Industry Award 2020 will come into effect on 1 September 2021.